Vice Rectorate for Research and Innovation - TUW Research Cluster “Smart Communities and Technologies”: Call for Post-doctoral scientist (option of extension)
The Research Cluster “Smart Communities and Technologies” (Smart CT) at TU Wien will provide the scientific underpinnings for next-generation complex smart city and communities infrastructures. Cities are ever-evolving, complex cyber physical systems of systems covering a magnitude of different areas. The initial concept of smart cities and communities started with cities utilizing communication technologies to deliver services to their citizens and evolved to using information technology to be smarter and more efficient about the utilization of their resources. In recent years however, information technology has changed significantly, and with it the resources and areas addressable by a smart city have broadened considerably. They now cover areas like smart buildings, smart products and production, smart traffic systems and roads, autonomous driving, smart grids for managing energy hubs and electric car utilization or urban environmental systems research.
The open position is for a full-time post-doc university assistant (40 hours/week) and limited for 15 month (option of extension) of the area Cyber-Physical-Human Ecosystem. Expected start: March 1, 2021. Home office abroad is not possible.
Cyber-Physical-Human Ecosystem: Smart cities exchanging their capabilities in an organic elastic manner, being able to address whatever challenge and opportunity they face with the expertise, data, and knowledge of a global network of expert stakeholders form the basis of our vision for an Internet of Cities. Here the central focus is to create the scientific underpinnings for a future Internet of Cities infrastructure. We will create a comprehensive set of methodologies, models, and tools for design, development, management, and evolution of next-generation smart city applications.
- Knowledge and interest in one or more of the following: Distributed Systems, Edge/Fog Computing with Internet of Things technologies, Cloud Computing
- Strong analytical skills and good skills in programming (preferably Java, C++, or similar)
- Abilities to work as an independent and flexible researcher in interdisciplinary teams
- Good knowledge of English in speaking and writing Desired Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge or interest in one or more of the following: Middleware, technologies, Software Engineering methods and technologies for Distributed Systems, Simulation of Systems of Systems
- (for international applicants) Basic proficiency in German or willingness to learn
- A creative environment in one of the most livable cities in the world
- A young and international team of researchers
- A work environment that is well equipped with the newest hardware and software technology
- Continuing personal and professional education
- The possibility to present your research results at international top conferences
Entry level salary as a postdoctoral researcher is covered by level B1 of the Austrian Collective Agreement for university staff, and receives a minimum of currently EUR 3.945,90 EUR/month gross, 14 times/year.
For informal questions please contact: email@example.com
The application should include motivation letter, CV, certificates, list of publications and thesis copy as a PDF or ZIP archive containing PDFs.
Period for application: from 08.01.2021 – 05.02.2021 (date of stamp)
The TU Wien is committed to increasing female employment in leading scientific positions. Female applicants are explicitly encouraged to apply. Preference will be given when equally qualified. Furthermore desirable is competence in career advancement of young scientists and women and competence in gender mainstreaming. Applications in digital form (pdf) should be sent to the personal department of the TU Wien, Karlsplatz 13, 1040 Wien. Online-application by E-Mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates are not eligible for a refund of expenses for travelling and lodging related to the application process.